Can we use a Set Speed Boost script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we use a Set Speed Boost script?

Many of you may know, I love to fly in my car. It's a hoot. There's just one small issue I wish I could address. That's my thrust.

If you've read my tutorial on car flying (http://gamerxserver.com/forum/showth...ly-in-your-Car), you'll see we have full control over tilt, yaw and pitch. We can use directional boost to drive forward through the air, and speed reduce to slow down, but... that's not very good control of thrust when flying at high speeds through narrow cityscapes.

I know you don't allow scripts or hotkey programs that would give a player an unfair advantage in the game, but I don't think being able to adjust your speed boost value on the fly is that much of an advantage in normal gameplay situations. The only time I think it might have some effect is during a pursuit, where a person could judiciously employ speed boost modifications to gain an advantage over a pursuer, but even then, I'm having a hard time coming up with a good scenario that would illustrate this, making me wonder if it's that big of a deal in the first place.

What I would like to do is assign two hotkeys with my own script that would increase my speed boost value by 0.1 each time I press it, until it reaches my max, and another to reduce it by 0.1 until it reaches the minimum value.

What are your thoughts? Would a script like this violate the rules? Would it give someone an unfair advantage? I'm just tired of crashing into buildings and things because my turning radius is too large due to the high speed my car is flying at. It would be nice to be able to slow down around tight curves, or to reduce my speed in more complex areas as I'm flying.

That's good enough for me!

Speed boost multiplies your vehicle velocity at one time, not like nitros that will progressively increase your speed as you accelerate. So what you are suggesting are just the same with tapping the vehicle mode key many times (as it's increase the current vehicle velocity), in this case Directional Speed boost doesn't affect much, but the normal speedboost will do increase the speed as long you tap the key. The calculation is different for directional speedboost as it need to find the vehicle angle where it's facing, while normal speedboost will follow where the car is going (e.g. your car is falling, if you speed boost, it will fall faster, if your car is flying, if you speed boost, it will fly faster).

This also why, there is no good "speedometer" script, as it does not calculate vehicle acceleration, but vehicle movement on its vector. You will notice that when you get rammed and pushed without even accelerating, speedometer script will show the speed is increased, while logically it's not, although there are some that gives close result as it detects accelerate key. If SA:MP even provided function to control vehicle acceleration not physically, there would be already remote bots script (where script can drive a car). Techincally, the sa-mp script is a "Set"n"Get", server gets the vehicle velocity (delays here) and set the new one by multiplying the value, while the car is being driven by player that get the vehicle velocity (delays here too) and get the new boosted value from server, sync speed also affected.

So even changing values wouldn't make changes.
    Last edited by Robo; 19-01-16, 12:25 PM.
    KVIrc User

Comment

I think you've missed my question. I wasn't asking to alter the way speed boost works. I don't use speed boost anyways. I use directional speed boost at a value of 1.5. I want to write my own script, which I would run on my computer, that would allow me to change my directional speed boost value as I am flying/driving.

I don't see how it wouldn't work. I do it manually, and it works, it just takes so long to open the chat and type in the new speed boost value that I often fall right out of the sky before I can hit enter. If I could press a button and enter those commands automatically, that would be similar to having full thrust control on the fly.

Regular speed boost doesn't work for flying vehicles, since, as you pointed out, it sends you in the direction of travel, not the direction the vehicle is facing.

Really, getting it to work is my problem. I just want to know if it would be against the rules to try.

Comment

pretty sure as long as you dont abuse it everything should be fine.

im very interested in how you will make this script to see if i could apply any of this to pobs. also is there any way to get a last player object id (or any player object id(the ingame id(1-500))) in any way? or would this require an api of sorts? (apart from using text recognition software.)
        I used to be the only lvl1 player with speed boost 3 on the server. then robo came...

Comment

Originally posted by C_isForCookie[M4] View Post
          I use directional speed boost at a value of 1.5. I want to write my own script, which I would run on my computer, that would allow me to change my directional speed boost value as I am flying/driving
          Basically a mod, an extra addition that changes the way the game works. I don't know if you are allowed or not, I'd wait for an admin to reply an tell you it's fine.
          Please stop asking why I got my admin status removed. I chose to be demoted and there's no drama behind it.

Comment

I would use something like AutoHotKey, and keep a variable to track my current speed boost value. Then when I press the defined hot-key, it would modify the variable by either +0.1 or -0.1, and auto-send the command "t /ssb [variable] [enter]". I would also have a button to reset the value, and the variable, to 1, just in case I get into a situation where my variable and the actual speed boost value lose synchronization.

Yes, I think there is a command that lets you select the last object you created. /lapo or /lastplayerobject should return the object id and number.

Comment

I understand what you mean, lowering the boost value while hitting ctrl will slow you down. I and many other players have already employed hot keys in game to simplify command typing. The way I see it is.. Your boost value will remain inside of 0 to 1.5, also what you are proposing can be done with in game commands.

I don't see any reason why not to do this.

Comment

Awesome. Here is the script I have, using AutoHotKey:

removed per management request
                Last edited by C_isForCookie[M4]; 22-01-16, 08:20 PM. Reason: removed script

Comment

Originally posted by Robo_N1X
                  I said that is not going to work much
                  I do not understand why you would think it wouldn't. I've used it (until just now when I read your reply), and it worked as expected. I was able to alter my flight speed while in mid-air, which is what I was hoping to accomplish.

also i realize this is a Questions and Answer not suggestion right?
                  It is a question, not a suggestion.

If it's suggestion then maybe i'd consider it.
                  I'm not sure I understand what you would consider doing. The commands to accomplish this speed control are already available. I am merely automating the typing of them.

But in this case, you do also realize there is a vehicle mode to slow down (speed reduce) vehicle, no?
                  Yes, I do know about the speed reduce. I use it as my fire mode command, but as I stated in my OP, it's not well suited to altering you speed, only slowing down or stopping. As soon as you press your directional boost, you're back too max speed. It's an all or nothing kind of gameplay mechanic, that isn't well suited for flight.

What I have done in the past is to open the chat box, type a new speed boost value with the /ssb command, and hit enter then the directional boost. This resets your speed to the new value, and it remains at that speed.

So beside it's useless or not going to work much, it's also unfair.

I disagree it's useless, and I know it works. But, unfair?

Just imagine that admins trying to disable your speedboost many times for some reason and you can turn it on easily with a key, this applies to any other kind of keybinds scripts (for spam, to be faster = way gain advantages). So No.
                  I can't turn it on with a key if an admin disables it. Can I type "/ssb 1.2" and re-enable it if an admin disables it? If not, then there's no way I could re-enable it if you turn it off. I can't fly in races or events, no matter what commands I try. Is there something I'm missing?

By the way do you think that posting scripts is allowed here even it's not in Suggestions?
                  Yes, why wouldn't they be? Scripting isn't a sin. Cheating is. I can script animations and share them here, this is no different. Script writing isn't secret knowledge. Everything in my post above can be seen on AHK's own website. Automating tedious tasks is standard practice in SAMP servers, granted more so in RP servers, but still, it's not like I'm sharing a cheat program or teaching people hacking.

But, if you think it doesn't belong, I'll remove it. And if you say we can't do this, I guess I will have to stop. Shame, really. I was just getting the hang of the new controls. Guess it's back to crashing into stuff.

Comment

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 15,681 at 08:23 AM on 17-06-20.

Working...
                  X